Read the Printed Word!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why do people put up with Microsoft Windows ? and internet explorer ?


Every time I see a user struggle with Windows and IE, I am deeply hurt to see so much avoidable pain in the computer world. Most of the time it is for some troubleshooting that I am forced to see the 'blue screen" (Microsoft windows). Windows badly needs an antivirus software and between the antivirus and the virus( Microsoft windows) the users are taken for a ride. There are series of messages telling the users why they cannot do something or why they cannot access a site or open a particular file.

What really irks me is that the users actually seem to be thankful that the ' virus' and antivirus are working overtime to save the user; then they wax eloquent on the virtues of antivirus software and a propriety operating system. They don't believe me when I say that I have been using an Open source software for operating system and I have never had to use an antivirus for the past six years and that I have never had to reformat the disk or need any 'janitor software' to take care of registry and junk files.

Microsoft is a past master in making virtue out of a weakness. A case in point is its inefficient way of storing files, which causes fragmentation of files. So you have a defragmentation utility doing a weekly or monthly maintenance. It displays a nice colourful screen showing microsoft working hard to organize your disk; but then who messed it up in the first place? Linux doesn't clutter up the disk so you do not need a defragmentation utility and it is as simple as that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is totally new to me , we are addicted to windows, we want to learn more about lenex