Read the Printed Word!

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Scottish Tunes and the Desi Regiments


Having served for 35 years in a Regiment and having frozen to attention every time the Regimental March past played, all I remember is a feeling of intense pride and a deep respect for the Flag and the Regiment when I heard these notes.

Back O Bennachie is our Regimental March-past. Though I never learnt the lyrics nor the history of the song I have developed a close attachment for the tune. I just presumed that it was a song about soldier, soldiering and battles. In the pre internet days, ignorance on any subject was well preserved as there was no way to check out facts. One just went by feelings rather than well researched facts.

I remember , a commanding officer musing aloud, “why do we need a march-past called 'Back O Bennachie' ? Half the people can't spell it or pronounce it and nobody can understand it; we need an Indian tune composed by a great Indian musician like Pandit Ravishankar.” The next day was 15 Aug and after the function at the JCOs Club, we were all standing in attention and as the last notes of the Regimental March past played , he looked at me , gently shook his head and muttered 'no, no, we should stick to it'

As a good adjutant, I agreed with him on both the occasions and as the feelings go , it was not difficult to agree.

Years passed and one fine day, my son sent a video clip of the song played on mandolin. Following that link and further surfing in breadth and depth led to numerous versions. I downloaded and read up everything on the tune and also listened to some terrific versions of the tune played on mandolin, guitar and bag pipe.

It is a Scottish folk song, a sad love song about a girl who talks of two suitors. As the story goes, both the suitors die under different circumstances and it ends on a sad note

"   It's noo that twice I've been a bride,
I've been a bride, I've been a bride,
It's noo that twice I've been a bride,
But a wife I'll never be.    "

For whatever reason , the song is set to a lively tune. Today, it appears to be a huge joke; it could well have been 'Mary had a little lamb' . What comes to my mind is the words of Jiddu Krishnamurti that seemingly meaningless rituals and words can become profoundly sacred through repetition over a period of time.It was  something I had read long back, but courtesy, 'the net', I reproduce it below.

.......By repeating Amen or Om or Coca-Cola indefinitely you will obviously have a certain experience because by repetition the mind becomes quiet. It is a well known phenomenon which has been practised for thousands of years in India - Mantra Yoga it is called. By repetition you can induce the mind to be gentle and soft but it is still a petty, shoddy, little mind. You might as well put a piece of stick you have picked up in the garden on the mantelpiece and give it a flower every day. In a month you will be worshipping it and not to put a flower in front of it will become a sin......

Some links to lyrics and videos   (The song is called ' back o bennachie' or 'gin I were the gadie rins' )


On mandolin

Old Blind Dogs 

The Bag pipe

On Accordion

The Lyrics




5 comments:

Raj Bhown said...

Murli, so wonderfully written. You have been always a prolific writer and voracious reader. I remember your joker in the pack.
I always make it a point not to miss your blogs. Keep writing. Back O Bennachie has been a tongue twister for all of us. But, when it played I had goosebumps always. Scottish pipes have a magic and regardless of my Indian loyalty I will always choose them over best of musical instruments.

colmurali said...

Raj, thanks. I was apprehensive about how fellow-jats will take it. Can't imagine going into battle singing 'mary had a little lamb' It was good that I was ignorant of the lyrics. (Ignorance does help). would be nice with words like 'kadam kadam barhaye ja ....' well it has gone on for 200 years and it will carry on. Whatever, despite the new found wisdom of the history of the song, back o bennachie will continue to evoke the same feelings it had always evoked. Jat Balwan ! Jai Bhagwan !

harendra jha said...

I think the existing Regt. 'March Past' may well require a change.The tune suggested by late Brig D E Hayde, MVC may be considered.

harendra jha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
colmurali said...

Jha sir, Absolutely delighted to see your comments. I did not write this to criticise. I just wanted to share my findings on the net, and I am sure there are people more knowledgeable about Regimental History as well as Music. At least for me it will be 'Back O Bennachie'. Too much emotional investment made to retract.